Changing DMI Strings
Some of the DMI strings in the Intel desktop board BIOSes can be changed using the utilty attached to this article. To run the utility, you will need a Windows 98SE bootable USB pen drive.
- Make the USB pen drive bootable
- Extract the utility to the pen drive
- Boot the system from the pen drive (use the F10 option to get the boot menu)
- Run FLASH.BAT
The following strings will be prompted for:
- System product name (for example the motherboard name such as DQ67SW)
- System serial number (this should be the serial number on the Stone serial number sticker)
- Chassis Serial Number (normally this is not used; Stone systems may have a QC tracking number here)
- Chassis Asset Tag (this should be used for the end-customer asset tag number)
This DMI utility will also program "OEGStone" into the BIOS as a manufacturer string.
Note: This utility only works with Intel 4, 5 and 6 series motherboards. It will not work with 7 series motherboards such as the DQ77MK, or with the the Stone / MSI H61M motherboard. It also does not work with Intel 6 series motherboards which have been upgraded to Windows 8 "secure boot" capable BIOSes, such as DH61CR / DH61WW BIOS 0099 or later.
- Stone desktop systems with Intel 4 or 5 series motherboard.
- Stone desktop systems with Intel 6 series motherboard with a non-Windows 8 capable BIOS (BIOS 0048 or earlier).
Article ID: 95
Last updated: 15 Nov, 2013
Stone Branded Products -> Desktop PCs and All-in-One (AIO) -> Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) -> How to change the DMI information on a Stone system with a 4, 5 or 6 Series Intel Desktop Board