Changing DMI Strings
Some of the DMI strings in the Stone / Intel NUC BIOSes can be changed using the utilty attached to this article. To run the utility, you will need a Windows 98SE bootable USB pen drive.
- Make the USB pen drive bootable
- Extract the utility to the pen drive
- Download the motherboards latest BIOS file (for example MK0061.BIO) and save it to the pen drive as BIOS.BIO.
- Boot the system from the pen drive (use the F10 option to get the boot menu)
- Run FLASH.BAT
The following strings will be prompted for:
- System serial number (this should be the serial number on the Stone serial number sticker).
- Bay Number (normally this is not used; Stone systems may have a QC tracking number here).
- Chassis Asset Tag (this should be used for the end-customer asset tag number).
This DMI string update method reflashes the entire BIOS, so please note any BIOS settings needed for your operating system as these may be reset during the upgrade process, including:
- SATA Controller mode (for example, AHCI or IDE mode).
- UEFI Enabled (usually enabled for Windows 8 and disabled for Windows 7).
- Secure Boot Enabled (again, usually enabled for Windows 8 and disabled for Windows 7).
This DMI utility will also program "OEGStone" into the BIOS as a manufacturer string.
Note: Please do not use this utility on MSI desktop boards or non-Intel NUCs.
- Stone / Intel NUC systems.